Tillväxtanalys studied experiences of promoting four investment processes in Sweden and Finland. MDI brought an international perspective to the study and, as an assignment, explained how Finland was working to promote the Northvolt battery plant’s investment in the Kotka-Hamina region. The purpose of the background study was to shed light on Finland’s investment attraction and promotion strategy and system.
The study identified what kinds of organisations in Finland participated in this kind of work and how the cooperation process went at the national and local levels. The following success factors were identified in the Kotka-Hamina region:
- Finpro acted proactively.
- Team Finland was able to quickly identify new projects due to the network of state and local actors.
- The role of Business Finland was known and the actors appreciated the information provided by it.
- The triple helix collaboration between the private, public and academic sectors was smooth and rapid
- Actors in the Kotka-Hamina region and at the national level already had experience of good cooperation in attracting large foreign companies.
- The local development company was present and had a clear responsibility for local operations.
- Although Northvolt has not yet invested in the Kotka-Hamina region, strong foundation work has been done for future investments through this case.
In the Kotka-Hamina study, MDI interviewed the actors involved in the case and clarified the backgrounds on the basis of the available documentation.